By Anne O'Brien
After the demise of her stepfather, girl Rosamund de Longsprey concept to prevent an prepared marriage with a repugnant guy by way of taking to her newly inherited lands. regardless of the deplorable stipulations and missed lands, Rose is decided to make it paintings as the replacement isn't really anything she is keen to do. regrettably for Rose, Lord Gervase Fitz Osbern is simply as decided to take again his lands that have been stolen from his family members. Fitz Osbern indicates up and fast takes keep an eye on of the fortress a lot to the chagrin and annoyance of Rose. either are confident of sole possession, and either are obstinately attempting to oust the opposite. Neither one is keen to offer any floor, nor will both one publish. Will somebody continue to exist? And who will lay declare to the lands?
I completely enjoyed this tale. I occurred upon this prize rather by chance as i used to be searching the cabinets of a neighborhood paperback alternate book place. The blurb at the again stuck my consciousness, however it used to be some time sooner than I opened it. i used to be quick stuck up within the tale and the characters; I quickly came across myself racing to learn to determine the way it might all finish. either Rose and Gervase are robust and dominate characters. fortunately, they stayed precise to these traits during the tale and nonetheless had a really pleasant end.
The first scene we learn is of Gervase taking up the property. It comes throughout particularly brutally, and that i chanced on myself asking the query "how am I to love this man?" Then, the tale flashes again 2 weeks and we see issues from the start and WOW. i used to be hooked.
What I enjoyed:
1. woman Rose--she is astounding! She is opinionated, made up our minds, crafty, proud, and shrewdpermanent. She can be compassionate and courageous. I enjoyed that she grew because the tale improved. definite, she was once blameless of many ways of the area, yet she wasn't overly naïve and silly approximately it. She used to be headstrong, occasionally to her detriment, yet consistently for a cause.
2. Lord Gervase--what a hottie! He was once robbed of his lands and stole them correct again. even if he's an honorable knight, he performs the function of a rowdy brigand in hopes it's going to ship Rose working. His makes an attempt are quite humorous due to the fact he betrays himself with acts of generosity and civility from time to time. And as soon as he cleans himself up...all his common appeal particularly shines through.
3. Contess Petronilla and Lord Hugh de Mortimer--Rose's mom and Gervase's buddy additional a pleasant contact of sanity to stability out the bullheadedness of either Rose and Gervase. additionally, I enjoyed Rose's mother for simply being there and being a mother. She wasn't controlling, yet supportive.
4. The Undermining of Authority--I enjoyed the subtleties (and now not so refined methods) utilized by either Rose and Gervase to realize the higher hand. I additionally favored that it wasn't continuously one who got here out on best. in truth, it usually appeared judicious. It's infuriating to learn tales the place the lady is so naïve that she is has to be rescued through an all figuring out guy. right here, we had a well-balanced conflict the place not anyone ever appeared to really be answerable for the situation.
5. The Romance--with such headstrong humans, there's certain to be sparks once they meet. They either slowly and carefully fall in love with the opposite. And it was once effortless to determine why they enjoyed each one other.
6. The Ending--with either decided to be the conqueror, it used to be nail-biting to attend and spot how obdurate humans may come jointly with no filing. It used to be good performed. I enjoyed how Rose positioned to exploit the unorthodox recommendation of the Queen.
What I didn't like:
The simply factor that I didn't like used to be the various flashbacks: it used to be a piece complicated now and then. Am I studying whatever occurring instantaneously? Or did this occur previously?
All in all, i actually loved this tale. It used to be a hugely exciting tale with plausible characters and an emotional romance. this can be one I'm going to carry directly to and never ship again to the paperback alternate shop.